Thursday 23 February 2012

Gathering 21/02/2012

The gathering happened at Carey’s this week as he has a bigger table. With our ever expanding army this is a wise move for us.

The gathering was down two players this night; Mark and Kevin. However, the numbers were made up by Carey’s Son, Christopher and partner Sadie. So with Bernard, Lee, Carey himself and me, we had six players for the first time.

We started with a 5 player “all vs. All” as Sadie was out. It was a slow starting game as in his second go Christopher had dealt 2 damage to every creature on the battlefield, meaning we were all without creatures at this point. Also, through this game both Lee and Christopher were safer with drawing either no land or nothing at all, but this inevitably made them small players in the game.

I was playing my Boggart feast deck; the last time I played with it I had two ‘Door of Destinies’ cards out,


one with eleven counters on it and the other with three counters on it. It’s an unpredictable deck to play but I thought I was quid’s in. In my opening hand I had two ‘Stenchskipper’ cards in my hand.


But one got destroyed then the other was enchanted with ‘pacifism’.


I was first taken out by Carey’s flying creatures, then a sorcery that deals 1 damage from Christopher. Bernard was next to follow, then Christopher and finally Lee.

Our first empire match was formed of Lee and Sadie having Christopher as there emperor. Carey and I had Bernard as our emperor. Lee was using his Golem deck, Christopher a red Deck and Sadie a Red and Black Vampire deck. I was using my ‘Mana Munchers’ Deck, Bernard his Blue deck and Carey a Spirit Deck.

The game started with Christopher having a card that activates for free, if in your opening hand it deals three damage to all opponents, and you consequently gain life from the damage dealt. So Carey, Bernard and I lost 3 each before doing anything and Christopher was sat with 29 life to start the game.
Carey and I didn’t waste any time in getting to work on our opponents. Carey more so as if left unchecked Lee’s deck can be sat on 6 or more 6/6’s. His spirit flyers made quick work on Lee’s life count.

I had a very good opening hand; ‘Wirewood Elf’, ‘Explosive Vegetation’ and three forests to get my mana up quickly.




With my third turn I had ‘Allosaurus Rider’ out and waiting to be cast on it ‘Shape of the Wiitigo’ and ‘Blanchwood Armor’; at the end of the day it was a 21/21.






Sadie was defenceless against me simply through bad draws, only making one move in which to use ‘Traitorous Blood’ on my ‘Wirewood Elf’ as that’s all I had out at that point.


If only she had waited. 

Christopher had also suffered the effect of a mana clump which made him draw a land every turn, with no useful cards. It didn’t take me and Carey long to deal with him.

The second game was not destined to go as well. I used my blue deck, which would prove to be too slow and Bernard was using a deck he had never used before, and because the deck was unknown to him he did not play it in the way it was intended. I was unable to stay alive long enough to pass him my 13/13 which would have bought him some time.

Carey had put up a good fight, but once your emperor is taken down your team loses. For our first empire match it all went well with the least amount of confusion as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment