Thursday 17 February 2011

My First Deck

Today’s blog will be looking back at my first deck. Now when I say first I mean this is the deck that I have developed since I first started playing in 2002. It has gone through various “shapes” over the years.
When it was first made, it was a red/green deck, containing my starter set of cards. As I bought more cards it slowly changed and included more complex cards. Then one day, I was looking at my cards and the deck I made, and made a very big decision... A decision to take the red cards out, and play my strength at the time. Green.
I had loads of high powered green creatures. So I piled them into the deck. The only thing was at the time I was immature when it came to making decks, I was still only 13 at this point. I had forgotten the need for mana. So over the next couple of years I would learn from my mistakes and keep building on them. Replacing cards for similar ones but still more complex, finding they didn’t work and taking them out again.
This deck has gone through many changes but has never been completely taken apart; it has always been in a gaming state. It has remained one of, if not, my favourite deck.
I will walk you through the deck as it stands and how it will probably stay. It may fail very miserably 25% of the time but I love the risk this deck brings.
Deck Name: Mana Munching Monsters
Deck Size: 75 cards
Deck Colour(s): Green
Description:
This deck has one objective... To summon the biggest creature and to crush everyone in the way. It uses a hell of a lot of mana. For example, ‘Krosan Cloudscraper’
Not only does it munch the mana as it’s put into play but it carries on needing 2 green mana every turn.
With big creatures like this in the deck it needs ways of getting mana and fast or you will be taken out before ever getting near having it. There are small mana costing ways in Green to get more land into play. My favourite beginning hand will have at least 2 Forests in it with either ‘Krosan Wayfarer’ or ‘Elvish Pioneer’.
 


















 By playing these on your first go you get to lay a second land. Meaning that on your second go if you have a land to lay you’ve got three mana. You could then play ‘Fynghorn Elder’.
With his tap to get 2 green mana, by your third go if you have a land to lay, you have 6 mana. That isn’t bad for you third turn. 6 mana means big monsters. For example, ‘Silvos, Rogue Elemental’ who might I point out has a very cheap Regenerate cost.
But you could also be very cheeky and play ‘Elvish Aberration’
This would mean 9 mana by your forth go and if you had another land, TEN MANA! But of course you would have to have a very lucky draw. That’s just an example of how well the deck could work to produce mana. Of course I have small creatures, who’s only purpose in the deck is to create mana (there will be a full deck list at the bottom of the blog.).
I have very few spells as this is a very creature based deck. But the spells aid the cores well. ‘Lay of the Land’ and ‘Explosive Vegetation’ are incredibly useful if I’m having trouble finding mana.

 












I only have three power up spells as the majority of my creatures are big any way. I find I use them to boost my mana, making 1/1’s when I start to dominate with enough mana munchers. But if I’m feeling evil and have a 6/6 with trample out, I may use them to create a hurricane of power.
‘Decree of Savagery’. This powers up everything you have in play. All 1/1 mana makers are now 5/5 power drivers. All 6/6 bests are 10/10 over lords.
‘Shape of the Wiitigo’ will only power up one. If you’re quick enough to get this up you will probably be best on a small 1/1 to add to the army of big hitter. But if it’s been a slow game and you’re having a power struggle with your opponent. Slap it on the big 6/6 and watch their face drop (maybe even fall off). But you must attack every turn to keep pumping it up. If you don’t it will start to lose that power.
The last power up. Cheap compared with the other two, but the later in the game it’s played then the effect will be the same. ‘Blanchwood Armor’.
I feel at this point you can see how this deck works and you just want to look at the full list of big creatures, but there are three cards I’d just like to point out to you.
‘Kurgadon’
Every time you cast a big boy after him he’ll get bigger. And he does.
‘Kamahl, First of Krosa’
Not only does he power up all your creatures for you, but he gives them trample. He can be a game winner, especially if your opponent keeps blocking your big creatures, who happen to be lacking trample with puny 1/1’s.
And finally you’re in the prime position where you’ve got all 6/6’s and bigger out, and your opponent happens to have smaller bit parts in comparison. Great you think, but I haven’t got any with trample, what do I do?
‘Taunting Elf’
Drawing all the attention to him you can bust throw with 20+ damage... In a perfect game any way.

Mana Munching Monsters Deck List:
Green Creatures:
                                             Taunting Elf x2
                                             Wall of Roots
                                             Vine Trellis
                                             Wirewood Elf x3
                                             Fyndhorn Elder
                                             Elvish Aberration
                                             Silvos, Rogue Elemental
                                             Harvester Druid x3
                                             Llanowar Elves
                                             Elvish Pioneer x3
                                             Krosan Wayfarer x3
                                             Horned Troll x 2
                                             Living Hive x 2
                                             Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
                                             Allosaurus Rider
                                             Rhox
                                             Primeval Force
                                             Lone Wolf
                                             Penumbra Wurm
                                             Protean Hulk
                                             War Mammoth
                                             Plated Slagwurm
                                             Yavimaya Wurm
                                             Kurgadon
                                             Krosan Cloudscraper

               Artefact Creature:

                                             Copper Myr x4
                                             Steel Wall                                                        
                                            
               Green Other:

                                             Blanchwood Armor
                                             Shape of the Wiitigo x2
                                             Lay of the Land x2
                                             Explosive Vegetation
                                             Decree of Savagery
                                             Crush of Wurms
                                             One Dozen Eyes
              
Land:
                                            
                                             Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
                                             Hickory Woodlot
                                             Forest x22


No comments:

Post a Comment