Thursday 24 February 2011

Where did it start?

Well I was thinking about the fact I keep posting about Magic the Gathering when I have not given my background into how I began to play.
Well I started playing MTG in the winter of 2002 aged 12. It was at school I noticed a friend of my friends brother was looking at his cards to which I was instantly intrigued as I was still collecting Pokémon cards. He explanded the basics to me and told me to come along to the club that happened at lunch time. This was it, I was hooked and had to play. The Teacher was given some cards by a student earlier that week which he passed on to me, there was only 10 and nothing special. He also had a couple of 7th edition starter sets on sale. So that was my first set of cards.
The set in which was out at the time was Onslaught. I was buying tournament packs and boosters through till Dark Steel where I only got 3 packs I think. I had found skateboarding, which stopped me playing as much.
I would buy very few packs through this point; I also didn’t buy many packs from the Champions of Kamigawa as I didn’t like that expansion.
I wouldn’t buy any new cards till Coldsnap where I went mad! I loved the cards in the set. There are still cards that have got me pondering what to do to make them work in a deck.
The next time I would get on to it MTG will be with Lorwyn set. I brought all of the fat packs to this expansion. I think what got me with this set was it had the same feel to it as Onslaught, making the game feel fresh and almost new, like when I had started playing.
After that expansion I would stop buying cards as my involvement with bands would take all my time away.
After the breakup of my 1st major band, I turned back to MTG, as I would be out of a band for a year. But now I don’t go out my way to buy boosters. I order the cards I want online.
As you can see I have left the game a lot, but always came back stronger and I feel I’m back to stay. I’ve got over 20 decks I have made myself. I have all 4 decks of both Archenemy and Planechase. I’ve got the whole set of Unhinged and I’m trying to get all three complete sets of the Vanguard cards.





No comments:

Post a Comment