Wednesday 28 September 2011

Weekly Gathering 21/09/2011

Due to a new working schedule and needing to help a customer for 20minutes past the time I should have left, I arrived at my uncles to find that he, Carey and Lee had already begun playing. Not long after I arrived, Kev turned up; and though there were five players which meant less room at the table, the fun was not diminished.

In the first game, I used my “Poison Ivy” deck.
I made quick work of poisoning each player as I had a “Chained Throatseeker” in my hand.


Mark was the only other player I couldn’t see having a successful attack, simply because he had “Aven Redeemer” in play.


The damage from my un-blockable cards Blighted Agent” would have been stopped,


so I had to wait until the other players had been taken care of. By this point Mark’s “Aven Redeemer” was powered up, so I only had to wait for him to attack before i could end in my un-blockables, getting that poison counter needed to use my “Chained Throatseeker”.
I only won by taking a risk and attacking with my all.
During the next game, I used my newly named “Gods Galore” deck. I have played this deck every week since making it but again it did not do so well, and I was taken out before I had the chance to do anything. In one turn, Mark made me take 8 blows of damage, and discard 18 cards from the top of my library.




Included were “Book Burning”,


two “Tome Scour”


and “Reef Pirates”.


I was taken out so early in the game, that I took the time to check my emails, meaning I missed the conclusion of the game. I have however concluded that “Gods Galore” would work a lot better one on one.
When it came to the next game I couldn’t decide what deck to use and left to the Lee to choose either 1 or 2. I know wish I had gone against his choice. I used my “Fire Fight” deck (deck list can be found in an earlier post titled “Fire Fight”). Again, this is better off as a one to one deck. We also each used a randomly drawn Vanguard card.
Kev had “Eladamri”




– who has the ability to redirect damage dealt from creatures to himself, which would have been good with his Merfolk deck as it is very good at gaining life with “Judge of Currents”.

Mark had “Hanna”




– where the ability to cast spells for one less, helped his land destroying deck work faster.
Carey had “Multani”




– unfortunately this worked against his deck; being that it predominantly relies on getting a vast amount of small creatures into play as quickly as possible, but having three less cards in his hand slowed this down.
Lee had “Selenia”




– meaning that he could keep his defence up, as his creatures didn’t have to tap the cards in order to attack.
Finally, I had “Rofellos”




which means if a creature I control is put into the graveyard from play, I draw a card. I thought this would have helped me as I have means of sacrificing creatures in my deck, but it just never happened in this game.
I was able to play two “Soulbright Flamekin” cards,


giving me the ability to gain at least 16 mana; but I had nothing to spend it on, and never did in the end so ultimately I had to concede. Kev went on to win with his Merfolk deck, which went on a token spree and with the aid of “Door of Destinies” his 1/1 tokens had reached 9/9.


Carey and Lee called it a night after that.
The last game of the night was a three player commander game. Kev had “Mirror Mastery”, Mark had “Devour for Power” and I had “Heavenly Inferno”.
We had all decided to stick with the suggested commanders which saw Kev off to a good start (particularly with land), but I was the first to actually get my commander into play. My commander was “Kaalia of the Vast”,


so as soon as I could I started attacking Kev for he was building his forces as Mark sat doing nothing. Of course, every time I attack with Kaalia, I get to put an Angel, Demon or Dragon from my hand into play attacking. Ultimately I was slowly building my army and knocking Kevin’s down. Once he was gone, Mark quickly caught up and was able to cast his commander, which was a 16/16 flying – giving all of his creatures including itself +3/+0.
This meant I was now unable to attack with my “Kaalia” and I had insufficient mana to play any creatures, so I was relying on attacking with my commander in order to cast anything. I hung around for a few rounds with my various colour protection cards, but once again I had to concede as I had nothing to get me out of my dire situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment