Friday 9 September 2011

Weekly Gathering

Another week of godly sized battles has passed, and once again we had what I now consider to be a full house (four people apparently fill my uncle’s house rather well). The full house consisted of my Uncle Mark, Kev, Lee and of course myself.
Mark and I started early, as we waited for the other two to arrive; just some straight games to begin with. I had a new deck to use (the deck list will follow but I don’t want the others to know it yet!). The first game would determine how well the deck would work and I’m afraid to say it didn’t work too well. By the time I had cast a creature I was on a life-count of 4.

The second game was a bit better; Mark was using his White/Black Cleric deck, which at the best of times is a strong deck. He was winning up until I cast “It That Betrays”,


with this an opponent sacrifices a non-token permanent, and I gain control of it. Then “All Is Dust” followed,


which forces each player to sacrifice all coloured permanents. The holder now controls all of the lands, creatures and coloured cards that happen to be in play. So by clearing Mark out of all of his cards, I built myself quite the army.
We then moved on to a game with commander decks. The first game Mark had ‘Heavenly Inferno’ and I had ‘Devour for Power’... Well I only drew “swamps” for mana, and there wasn’t enough for any spell in my hand. I was simply had, and in a big way.
In the second game, Mark had “Political Puppets” and I had “Mirror Mastery”. This time I had a good draw and we ended the game early because the gathering was complete with the arrival of Kev and Lee. However, I did manage to produce a “Simic Sky Swallower” and a token copy,

also a 27/27 “Trench Gorger” complete with a token copy; this I thought was quite good.


But let’s get back to the point, with all four players present we got down to business with straight multi-player games. There was one game which saw my deck being virtually inactive until I was on a life count of about 6, but this would not be enough to pull me back into the game. In the next two games I would not get anything out either, and Kev would be the one to dispose of me.


During the third game, we introduced Lee to Planechase. The Planer deck was played down in the game, due to the presence of Kev’s Elf deck (which I designed), and Marks sliver deck. Kev made quick work of getting rid of the sliver deck before it got out of hand. Lee followed suit by taking Kev out with his 2 “Child of Night” cards.


Kev was down to a life count of 4, as Mark was using his Slivers to stop the Elf take over. Evidently the silent winner in the dark was Lee’s Vampire deck.


After my unsuccessful night with my new deck, I suggested an Archenemy game. When we have played them in the past, they haven’t been very fun, as two people is simply not enough to take on an Archenemy. I am happy to report, that atleast three people is a good number for it to be a success. We did only play the one game, but the rest of the group had managed to get me down to a life count of 12 before I won.


Now I usually don’t aim for just one person from the beginning of a game, but seeing as though Kev had taken me out twice, despite the fact that I had caused no damage to anybody and was still a long way off from doing so, I changed my mind – partly because I felt it was a little unfair to make me the main target on two separate occasions.
The three of them had made it their plan to use elf decks pre-Lorwyn back when elves powered up from every other elf in play. Lee, who is still relatively new to the game, has elves yes, but post-Lorwyn.
As a result, Kev ad Mark were powering up with every elf in play, tactically they would be the ones to target first. And as I pointed out earlier, my eye was already on Kev.
As the three of them had mentioned what decks they were using, I had to choose which deck to choose for myself. I went with “Scorch the World with Dragonfire”.
With the flying dragons, I was bound to have the upper hand, but another nice draw was “Volcanic Fallout”,


dealing all creatures 2 damage; elves aren’t very big creatures until they are powered up so I had cleared the field for my “Chameleon Colossus” to walk through as a nice 8/8.


This move meant the end of Kev. Mark was next, and obviously last was Lee (who conceded). A wise move as I was about to draw my “Two-Headed Dragon”.


At this point in the night, it was time for Lee to depart, leaving the rest of us to go back to straight multi-player games. This was to be the last game of the night.
What was interesting about this game was that we all chose blue/white decks; yet again another deck where I wouldn’t do much. I had drawn three “Blizzard Specter” cards and “Zur the Enchanter”,





just no swamps till the turn before Mark took me out. Typical - however, this would not happen till after Kev was taken care of.
Mark was the playing the Worldwake Intro Pack “Flyover”,



Kev had what can only be described as an annoying Enchantment deck and I was using my Counter deck.
The thing that makes Kev’s deck annoying is this combo: “Enchanted Evening” and “Greater Auramancy”,





but Mark had flown over and ended that before it could become truly annoying, as it usually does. You can see why I wanted “Zur” out, with every card being an enchantment I could look for any creature or spell I wanted with the converted mana cost of 3 or less.
It wasn’t much of a game, but it was a good first game for Mark’s Flyover deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment