Thursday 15 September 2011

Weekly Gathering

There was a change of scenery this week, being that we played at Lee’s humble abode. We also didn’t have all of the usual gang present; my uncle was unavailable which was why we weren’t playing round his, which meant Kev was going to give this week a miss. As such, Lee and I arranged to play at his and invite his brother Carey along.
Carey had started at the same time as Lee and had picked it up at the same speed, making for a good round of games. In actual fact, because they have only just started playing their a little quicker on some of the rules, well what I would think us smaller rules as a result of only the rule book being read. For example, when you mulligan in multi-player games you draw 7 cards again, then if you need to again you start drawing one less from then on.



When I turned up both Lee and Carey were already playing, this is something I like to see, a player who can’t wait to get the ball rollin’. Once they had finished the game, I of course jumped straight in, starting with my new deck that sat doing nothing in the multi-player games of last week. I had changed some cards for “Copper Myr” and “Palladium Myr” cards.




This worked in speeding up the game-play of the deck, meaning I was actually casting creatures.

Carey was playing with the only deck he has made so far; a quick, low-casting cost Myr deck, which took no time in getting to work on me with his “Hovermyr” cards.


However, he would soon be sorry as Lee was using his “Umbra” deck and so armed with plenty of “Aura” cards and his “Aura Gnarlid”.


Carey hadn’t much defence.



Even though my deck had finally woken up and I could play my “Kozilek, Butcher of Truth” card,



I did have to use my “Mana Vault” card a couple of times without having the mana to un-tap it the next turn; ultimately resulting in damage being dealt to me.



Carey had held onto his “Hovermyr” card, which finished me off.

In the next game I used another big, hard-hitting deck. “Mana-Munching Monsters” (you can find the deck list for this in my blog post titled “First Deck”). This deck didn’t work as fast as it usually does which I believed was going to the end of me that night, but luck was on my side.
In my hand I had “Kurgadon” and “Allosaurus Rider”.



 


At this point, I only had 5 mana, so I went on to play “Kurgadon” first, then playing “Allosaurus Rider” – by removing two green cards from the game, this bumped up “Kurgadon” with 3 “+1/+1” counters. I only had 3 forests in play, meaning “Allosaurus Rider” was only a 4/4.
During the next turn I enchanted “Allosaurus Rider” with “Blanchwood Armor” which gave him +1/+1 for every forest I controlled.


I had managed to lay on that turn so I now had 4, making him a 9/9. From here on in, every forest I laid would give him another +2/+2. NICE!





This gave me a nice defence line which stopped anyone from coming my way. I stayed this way, drawing forests till my “Allosaurus Rider” was a 15/15 and still on the defence. I then drew my winning card, “Rhox”;



this is because he can deal damage, though it is not blocked, but has a regenerate ability.

In the next game I used my new “Infect” Deck (Deck review coming soon!). It was pleasantly surprising, as it was a success. For a deck thrown together it’s one I’m rather proud of.
As you may guess, all the creatures in this deck have “Infect”, if not then they have “Defender”.
To start with I cast “Vigean Hydropon” and with its “Graft” I can give a +1/+1 counter to five creatures.



This works well for “Blighted Agent” with “Infect” and being un-blockable, powering this card up is a good idea.


What sealed the game was “Phyrexian Hydra”.


I had spent the game wearing the others down with “Blighted Agent”, so once I drew “Phyrexian Hydra” I didn’t need to deal much more damage.
In the last game of the night I used my deck now named “Pay Your Dues” (you can find a deck list for this under the post “The new [unnamed] red and black artefact deck”). This was to be a game where I wouldn’t do much, if anything at all. Carey had changed his deck to the Knights deck, from the Knights and Dragon duel deck(you can find a review of these decks under “Knights vs. Dragons: Duel Decks”).
As soon as he got “Kinsbaile Cavalier” out,


I saw the demise of both Lee and myself, with all his creatures having “double strike” there was no stopping him casting more knights. So in the end we both conceded.
All in all it was another enjoyable night, and some good results for my new decks.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment